Barbara Simon Memorial Fall Essay Contest
Open to all students!
Half the Sky
by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
This Fall (and Spring) semester we will be featuring two categories in our bi-annual essay contest: our traditional essay contest and a new media (or multimedia) essay contest. We are putting the "Experience" back into the New Student Book Experience. It’s time to get creative; write an essay, shoot a video, write a poem, write a song, write a rap… express your experience based upon the book.
Deadline for the Fall: TBA
Spring Deadline: TBA
Before you start this process, read the book completely.
- Select your topic*. Consult with your ENG 100 instructor or another faculty member about a topic or visit http://fye.umbc.edu for the New Student Book Essay Contest Topics.
- If you have questions regarding your essay, contact Professor Elaine MacDougall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When complete, cut and paste your submission into the form below. MAKE SURE you have proofread your entry and have included citations as needed.
Traditional Written Essay Guidelines:
- For best consideration, videos should be 3-5 minutes long.
- Your entry must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo (and link submitted via link below).
- Name and Title must be visible prior to the presentation. Give additional credit (including music) at the end of the presentation.
- If you have questions regarding your multimedia project, contact Mike Mower at email@example.com.
Multimedia/Creative Works guidelines:
For Video Projects:
For Other Creative Projects:
Depending on the type of creative works you are submitting, use the guidelines that best fit your submission. If it is a series of photographs or power point, you might need to submit your entry with a link so there is access to your submission. If you elect to submit poetry or an essay that you feel takes a creative approach to the themes in “Half the Sky“, you might prefer to submit your entry through the steps outlined for essay submissions.
- Web site
- Graphic Design
Examples of media accepted:
Note: Both categories will have a first place winner.
Winners will receive a $200.00 gift certificate from the bookstore.
*Topic: Consult with your ENG 100 instructor or another faculty member about a topic or download the discussion questions to glean ideas for your topic.