How did your First-Year Seminar help you get started at UMBC?
Because of the FYS I…
- improved my time management
- met new people
- became more comfortable asking questions in class
- learn about academic expectations at UMBC
What was the most helpful part of your FYS?
- Engaging in group discussions
- becoming more confident expressing my own opinions, despite controversy
- practicing abstract thinking
- meeting peers through small group activities
How has your writing improved during this course?
I am better at…
- writing correct citations
- analyzing information
- outlining my paper being descriptive elaborating my thoughts
- understanding college writing expectation
"My first year seminar course exposed me to the tools of success for college. It has allowed me to become connected, integrated, and involved in the UMBC community."
~ Kristopher dela Cruz, Financial Economics major