Barbara Simon Memorial Fall Essay Contest
Open to all students!
by Octavia E. Butler
This Fall (and Spring) semester we will be featuring two categories in our bi-annual essay contest: our traditional essay contest and a new media (or multimedia) essay contest. We are putting the "Experience" back into the New Student Book. It’s time to get creative; write an essay, shoot a video, write a poem, write a song, write a rap… express your experience based upon the book.
Deadline for the Fall: TBA
Spring Deadline: TBA
Before you start this process, read the book completely.
- Select your topic*. Consult with your ENG 100 instructor or another faculty member about a topic or visit http://fye.umbc.edu for the New Student Book Essay Contest Topics.
- If you have questions regarding your essay, contact Professor Elaine MacDougall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When complete, cut and paste your submission into the form below. MAKE SURE you have proofread your entry and have included citations as needed.
Traditional Written Essay Guidelines:
- For best consideration, videos should be 3-5 minutes long.
- Your entry must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo (and link submitted via link below).
- Name and Title must be visible prior to the presentation. Give additional credit (including music) at the end of the presentation.
- If you have questions regarding your multimedia project, contact Mike Mower at email@example.com.
Multimedia/Creative Works guidelines:
For Video Projects:
For Other Creative Projects:
Depending on the type of creative works you are submitting, use the guidelines that best fit your submission. If it is a series of photographs or power point, you might need to submit your entry with a link so there is access to your submission. If you elect to submit poetry or an essay that you feel takes a creative approach to the themes in the novel,”Kindred“, you might prefer to submit your entry through the steps outlined for essay submissions.
- Web site
- Graphic Design
Examples of media accepted:
Note: Both categories will have a first place winner.
Winners will receive a $200.00 gift certificate from the bookstore.
*Topic: Consult with your ENG 100 instructor or another faculty member about a topic or download the discussion questions to glean ideas for your topic.